Monday, March 09, 2009

Humility

Web Meditation 9 March 2009

I’m on an airplane flying to the East Coast for a “think tank” on young adult ministry through Episcopal service internships like our Resurrection House. I’m looking out the window at a see of clouds (the ground is completely obscured) with the sunrise casting bright crimson and golden bands across the horizon.

I can’t help but marvel, once again, at the revelation of God’s glory that is creation. It fascinates me how delicate the construction of our world is. If planet earth were a few degrees farther from or closer to the sun life could not exist here. Yet here we are.

At times like these, I can’t help but wallow in God’s grace. Our existence is solely because of God’s grace. We did nothing to deserve this wonder. We did not earn it, and we aren’t entitled to anything. It is by the will of God that we exist.

This wonder is very humbling for me. To fully realize the limits of my ability and to comprehend the extent to which it is God that provides my existence humbles me. I recognize that God is God and I am not. I believe there is much freedom in the surrender of humility. When we recognize the power of God, and surrender to that power we are free to be who God intended. We are free to simply be the loved creature of God we were made for, instead of trying to be god for which we are completely incapable of doing—not that we don’t try all the time. However, being humble is a path to letting God be God.

I don’t know if it is possible to decide to be humble. I think we can only open our eyes and hearts to the world around us. Yes there is strife and pain in the world, but there is also beauty and grace. When we see that beauty, when we reflect upon that grace we will be humbled. We will be able to let go. We will be aligned with the universe. And we will be truly free.

Question for today:
What in your life humbles you?



This meditation is also posted on the website of the Church of the Resurrection.

No comments: