Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Biblical Immigration Policy

"When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt; I am the Lord your God." Leviticus 19:33-34

I could go on and on about how wrong I think the House of Representitive Immigration Bill is wrong. I could build a strong intellectual case against every facet of the bill, but that's not what I'm feeling right now. I am feeling that I should make my confession. I should confess to you and God that I have not loved the alien as myself. It seems in this moment that the most truthful thing I can say is that I am more concerned about my well being--the roof over my head, the food in my stomach--then anyone elses, even my wife's. I don't befriend those different from me very well, but I should.

I ask God to forgive me. I ask you to forgive me. I ask God to change me, and I ask you to help me change.

No comments: