Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Herding cats!

So, I was helping a friend recently test a website he built for work that is to collect information for a study. I was one of several testers, and fortunately I followed the rules and performed the test properly; for my friend told me some of the testers did not follow the directions completely and their data became null and void. I replied that it is often easier to herd cats then it is to get a group of people to follow directions. In fact my band director in high school claimed that you have not told people directions until you you have repeated them at least three times, but that seven times was a better rule of thumb. In the words of the movie Swingers: Seven times is kinda money.

Anyway, I think there is a metaphor for preaching here, or a least a word to the wise. See I often feel I am preaching the same sermon over and over again to the point that I worry that I'm boring people. The truth of the matter is, however, that you have to repeat things in variety of ways to keep whatever you are saying in people's consciousness long enough for it to seep into their sub-conscious. I guess the seven times phenomenon highlights what Jung once said about it taking a thousand years for an idea to catch on.

Therefore: keep preaching the same old thing that brings about so much newness: God's Grace!

No comments: