- Controled the debate.
- Want to talk to the many not the few
- Speech is blount and direct
- analyize the power dynamics
- Sought a compromise of mutual self interest
- Have a specific agenda! Do not go to meet on a fishing exhibition. Know exactly what topic you want to discuss. Know what you want to say and stick to the script. Also, start the meeting and lay out the ground rules. Be diciplined about keeping yourself on topic and make the other side stay on topic as well.
- Work within reality! Organizing is about knowing not about hoping. Know what you have specifically, not an estimate and deal from that place--niether overstate not understate your position. For example if you know you can organize 10,000 people then that is what you say. Even if you have more people show interest in your topic you only have the 10,000 that you can organize. That is your power base and you should be clear about that.
- They are passive. They consent to the agenda and methods of the Athenians.
- They speak in vague terms appealing to hope and to "blood" (the assumed relationship they have with the spartans).
- They do not involve as many people as possible.
- Only concieve of two options. They want the Athenians to leave and do not accept any other terms despite the overwhelming force.
It should be noted, however, that while the Athenians desired to act in moderation from there stance of dominate power, eventually they crushed the Melians. They excercised there dominate power in a destructive way which was against one of their own rules. That is to say they lost thier integrity. This eventually cost the Athenians the war of which the Melian debate was small part. So how do we act in a way that is from power but does not compormise our integrity?
As we dove into this we learned that the ethics of power emerge from how power is gained. We were given four methods of gaining power:
- Threat of force. This takes the most effort and is the weakest because it must be constantly maintained. Once the threat is removed or the threatened grow tired of the opression your power is negated.
- Controlled or slanted information.
- Habit or apathy (posses biggest problem for organizers. People will actually think you are making stuff up when you inform them of problems because it takes less energy then believing you.
- Mystery, Magic, Ritual, Custom (especially difficult for me since whether i want it or not power is often given to clergy).
- Informed Judgement: this is the strongest becuase it involves positive relationships. People come together to analize a situation and come to a decision about an issue or event. Hard to bring about because it easier to have an opinion than an informed judgement.