Friday, May 19, 2006

Passion

I was reading the blog of a youth guru friend of mine where he reflected that what really gets passed down by formation people (teachers, youth leaders, coaches, etc.) is their passions. He told the story of going hiking with his 5th grade class and their teacher to bird watch. Now, he has not become an ornithologist, but when he is on his morning run--still to this day at the ripe young age of 50 or so--he notices birds, listens to them, pays attention to their presence.

So if our passions are what we pass along, what is my passion? I can really only say the love of God. The music, movies, and books are really just hobbies. The love of God is what gets me out of bed in the morning. And just maybe...maybe, with God's help, I can show the youth at the lockin this weekend this passion. I don't care if they become theologians or priests or whatever. But maybe on their path they will notice God, listen to God, and pay attention to God's presence.

No comments: