Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Sparring partners

Two great quotes from the Presiding Bishop and the President of the House of Deputies today.

The presiding bishop in her opening address to theconvention said that we should, "make connections with our sparring partners..."  a lot of her speech was about how we should remain open to the spirit speaking through those that disagree with us.  Great words for both convention and life.  

The president of the House of Deputies said that the choice between mission and governance was a false dichotomy.  I agree. The late great Walter Wink wrote a lot about chosing Jesus' third way when presented with only two options.  I hope that I and my fellow deputies keep looking for that third way and deny the host of false dichotomies we will deal with this week.  

Bible verse I thought of today: At destruction and famine you shall laugh, and shall not fear the wild animals of the earth, Job 5:22.  I hope that we laugh in the face of our fears in regards to scarcity and look for the abundance of God.

No comments: