Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Nebraska Wind Symphony

So last night I joined the Nebraska Wind Symphony, a local community band. I kept catching myself thinking that it had been eight years since I sat in a wind band...Eight years! Of course my chops were reminding me of this fact all through the rehearsal. I definitely had not played a two hour rehearsal in eight years as well.

While I am most assuredly not in playing shape, both in endurance and technical ability to keep up with the music, there was a kind of, "this is like riding bike," thing going on as well. It felt very familiar to sit in a section of ten or so other trumpet players, to listen closely to them to match pitch, tone, and timing. As they say in football the game is still moving faster then I am at this point, but I am sure there will come a time when the game slows down for me.

1 comment:

Bob G+ said...

Hey Jason, good for you! It would be a shame if you let go of your playing and composing. Keep ridin' that bike.