Thursday, December 22, 2005

Working on a Sermon

I like to preach. It's one of the reasons I followed the call in the first place. A big part of my faith is reflection: reflection on life, on faith, on scripture...hence this blog. Since I was ordained to the transitional diaconate this past June, I have been fortunate to preach more often. This has been a blessing and a curse; a blessing because I enjoy preaching, a curse because I find I'm saying the same thing over and over again. I've heard that this is true of all preachers . Even Archbishop Desmond Tutu, arguably one of the best preachers alive, says he only has one sermon, but the last two sermons I've done haven't been all that great (in my opinion).

So today was sermon writing day for Christmas. I'm preaching on Christmas morning, which this year even though its on a Sunday since its Christmas gets Christmas readings: John 1:1-14, the incarnation. I think I did a good job. You'll have to judge for yourself. I'll post it sooner or later. But the message is simple, and infact is Tutu's only sermon: God Loves You!

No comments: